Dealing with your food addictions can be one of the hardest parts when transitioning to a healthier lifestyle. Refined sugar is one of the most addictive substances in conventional food, and many people struggle when trying to eliminate it from their diet.
Some indications that you may be addicted to sugar include:
- Intense cravings for sweets such as chocolate, pastries, or candy
- Cravings for refined starches such as chips, bagels, or crackers
- Lack of self control when sugar is involved (overeating even when you try to limit yourself)
- Going out of your way to get sugar (ex. making a special trip to the store for sugary or starchy snacks)
- Feeling upset or 'hard done by' if you are in a situation where you can't obtain sugar
Here are 10 ways to help break your addiction.